The Lotus Cars Community banner

41 - 60 of 202 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
I ended up cancelling my order through lotus parts. I'm having it custom built. Should be done tomorrow.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
526 Posts
@tekkno one method of contact is plenty.. lol! No need to PM me and do mentions in the thread as well.

Like I just messaged him though... sorry for the delay, everyone. Our pipe and exhaust guy is on vacation this week, and I'll try to get him on it when he's back on Monday and email you all when I have some more info.
Any update on this. I am interested also.

·
Registered
390 Posts
I am interested as well... sent a pm...

Seems like there is a lot of interest for this simple pipe & clamp to remove the additional Cat on Federal cars

·
Galactic Hitchhiker
379 Posts
@walter and @shadowhusky PM me with your email please, and I'll keep you updated.

I'm at the tail end of my own holiday here.. I'll check and see if anything has been done when I get back in the shop on Thursday. Nothing had yet been done when I left last week, but we were in a bit of catch-up mode on customer cars after a really hectic race-prep and weekend... I'll re-impress upon the boss that I think there's $$ to be made and let him get our exhaust guy on it.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Hello Derek of Bass, I cannot PM yet since I am a noobie but please put me in line as well (just bought a 2017 Evora 400).

In fact, I called your shop and spoke with Richard (?) about the same thing! I live in Southlake, so local to you.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Can the op or others who have done this please comment on highway drone? I'm all for improved sound character, but want any car to shut up and be out of my face when settled into a highway cruise. Would very much like to know how the decat changes top gear 75 mph on highway. Thank you.

·
Premium Member
132 Posts
These are the parts I used you have to take your cat off to get the measurements to cut the 90 to the right length. The v-band flang required some machining to mate up correctly with the pipe coming off the headers then tig weld the flange to the pipe, turned out really good unfortunately I didn’t take any pictures. Hardest part was actually getting the Old cat out of the muffler flange very tight very thick steel on the muffler flang take the muffler and the cat off together and then fight it. I recommend using a pipe expander to open it up just a tiny bit to slide back together.

Attachments

·
Registered
526 Posts
These are the parts I used you have to take your cat off to get the measurements to cut the 90 to the right length. The v-band flang required some machining to mate up correctly with the pipe coming off the headers then tig weld the flange to the pipe, turned out really good unfortunately I didn’t take any pictures. Hardest part was actually getting the Old cat out of the muffler flange very tight very thick steel on the muffler flang take the muffler and the cat off together and then fight it. I recommend using a pipe expander to open it up just a tiny bit to slide back together.
For $80. it seems like something that I would try myself if nobody else comes up with a bolt on option :smile2:

·
Premium Member
132 Posts
Any machine shop should be able to run the flange to the right dimensions on a lathe and tig weld it for you.

·
Registered
526 Posts

Maybe your exhaust is different than mine but the pipe that you posted does not work. At least it didnt for me. If I would have measured the car before bought the pipe I would have been able to tell that. That pipe you posted has a bend radius of 5" and that is too large to be able to transition in the small amount of space needed.

I ended up buying this pipe. model #13053 because the other pipe model #13042 did not work. I realize that the pics are exactly the same but the actual items are quite different

I also bought the clamp shown in the pics below.

I must say that I think that it sounds way better with the decat pipe.

Attachments

·
Registered
195 Posts
Shadowhusky, would you please post a sound clip of your car in sport mode and in quiet mode? Would love to hear one before pulling the trigger. I love how "clean" the stock sound is. i.e., no extraneous sounds that make the exhaust tone coarse. I want to see if the decat changes that in anyway.

·
Premium Member
132 Posts
3” would probably be easier Wouldn’t have to be as exact on the cuts, Didn’t see the 3 inch when I made mine

·
Registered
526 Posts
Put the cat back on to take my car to the dealer here’s the pipe fit perfect on my car 2017 400
that's exactly what my first attempt looked like. but there was no way that I would have been able to fit the curved end into the input side of the exhaust with out really expanding that opening up t at he pipe slides into. But I'm glad everything worked out in your case.

·
Registered
526 Posts
Shadowhusky, would you please post a sound clip of your car in sport mode and in quiet mode? Would love to hear one before pulling the trigger. I love how "clean" the stock sound is. i.e., no extraneous sounds that make the exhaust tone coarse. I want to see if the decat changes that in anyway.
I will try to get a clip in the next few days for you. I dont have it on permanently yet. I was able to get it temporarily fit yesterday and just start the car up to listen to it briefly. We have some really rainy weather here in Michigan lately the last few days so i havent taken it out.

Did you want a clip at idle and a few revs, and or driving also?

·
Registered
195 Posts
I will try to get a clip in the next few days for you. I dont have it on permanently yet. I was able to get it temporarily fit yesterday and just start the car up to listen to it briefly. We have some really rainy weather here in Michigan lately the last few days so i havent taken it out.

Did you want a clip at idle and a few revs, and or driving also?
Idle and few revs would be great. I'd love to hear it on the highway also with valves closed doing 75 mph to check for drone, but you don't have to go all out. Maybe just share your impressions of how it sounds on the highway after youve driven it a few days? I know Slide says there is no drone which is good to hear, would be good to hear your perspective too.

Just context on why I'm asking - I am getting the car dynamatted - floor pans, rear firewall, rear seat area because that's how much I like a quiet car on the highway. I enjoy driving with windows down and listening to a sporty exhaust around town, but on highway, I like the car to settle down and be out of the way. I have done exhausts on previous cars I have owned and always regretted the ones that introduce drone at steady revs.

41 - 60 of 202 Posts