The Lotus Cars Community banner

101 - 120 of 204 Posts

·
Registered
236 Posts
Great thank you. I actually figured it out between my posting and your reply. You aren't kidding - the muffler weighs a freaking ton!

Just warming car up in garage the sound really is much louder. Valve open it sounds naughty! Can't wait to drive it later on.

·
Registered
236 Posts
When I went to check exhaust clamp bolts (after they were heated up by letting the engine run and then let cool), I somehow managed to snap off the bolt on the V-band clamp on the engine side (not the muffler side). I was using my small 1/4" ratchet and it didn't take much effort to break so be careful.

Does anyone have a part number and/or how to get a new V-band clamp please? I tried an off-the shelf 3" stainless one from local auto parts store and it's too big across, even when cranked down.

·
Illegal Alien
4,715 Posts
When I went to check exhaust clamp bolts (after they were heated up by letting the engine run and then let cool), I somehow managed to snap off the bolt on the V-band clamp on the engine side (not the muffler side). I was using my small 1/4" ratchet and it didn't take much effort to break so be careful.

Does anyone have a part number and/or how to get a new V-band clamp please? I tried an off-the shelf 3" stainless one from local auto parts store and it's too big across, even when cranked down.
#19 Clamp 'V' band, federal USA A132S6019F 1

·
Registered
236 Posts
Hey thank you so much, Julian73!

A quick google isn't showing me any US websites to purchase it from. Any suggestions? Is a dealership the best bet?

·
Acme Super Moderator ** The Enforcer **
7,054 Posts

·
Registered
236 Posts
Hello San - that link just brought up the generic V band search at Summit - was the actual Lotus part listed?

I have now already tried two non-specific 3" 304 Stainless Steel ones and they do not fit correctly. I would like to just find the Lotus spec one and stop experimenting.

·
Acme Super Moderator ** The Enforcer **
7,054 Posts

·
Vendor
1,218 Posts

Dang it!
As others have pointed out it will be easiest to get it through a dealer/oem supplier. We looked into these clamps when we first started working on the decat pipes and they are a special size, angle etc. Nothing off the shelf in the U.S. will match up. You can order the clamp direct but it will be easier and faster to get it through a Lotus dealer. If you have trouble let us know and we will get one for you.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Hey thank you for the offer, Greg! But I have one on the way through Brian and Dino at Gator Lotus. It is a weird very small clamp, to be honest. Oh well! I love the decat pipe and can't wait to be able to drive the car with it so thank you for taking up the mantle and making these available!

·
Premium Member
15 Posts
Installed Greg's decat pipe yesterday afternoon and I am very pleased with the results. I beveled the edge of the pipe that goes in the muffler pipe on my bench grinder and added a little grease to make the install go a little easier. My flanges did not match up perfectly, but the flange on the factory cat did not match up perfectly either. The v-clamp solves all the match up issues. Great service from GRP. My pipe was delivered in 2 days from ordering and the product is first class. Thanks Greg. While I had the cat pipe disconnected and the exhaust open, I cranked the car and it sounded REALLY good. Anybody removed the muffler completely and just run straight exhaust from the first cat back?

·
Registered
43 Posts
I just installed the GRP decat pipe and it sounds awesome. If you have a Federal Evora 400 I highly recommend this modification. I am not a mechanic so it took me a few hours in my garage without a lift to install the pipe. Pretty straight forward process, here is how I did it:
1. Remove diffuser/undertray
2. Disconnect orange vacuum line
3. Loosen muffler side clamp (clamp stays attached)
4. Loosen V-clamp on engine side. Gently pry with a flat tipped screwdriver around clamp until it releases all three sections. Push clamp back away from 3rd cat to engine side
5. Remove hanger bolts holding the muffler, 2 per side and pull out the entire muffler and 3rd cat
6. Wiggle the 3rd cat off the muffler
7. Attempt to insert decat pipe into muffler side. Tap around the opening with a rubber mallet to get it to compress slightly so it will fit inside. Also try prying open the muffler side a bit.
8. Grease up the decat pipe and start beating it into place with a rubber mallet. Place the 3rd cat side-by-side to get a rough estimate of where the engine side coupler should end up.
9. Place muffler with decat pipe back under the car to see if it lines up. If not remove and use mallet as appropriate.
10. Once you are close to lining up the couplers, reattach the hanger bolts, but do not tighten.
11. Replace V-clamp and tighten to align and seal couplers
12. Tighten muffler side band clamp
13. Tighten hanger bolts and reinstall diffuser/undertray.
14. Test drive and enjoy

Thanks Greg for making this available!!

·
Registered
236 Posts
Finally got it back together and drove it tonight. Wow wow wow. It sounds even better than before! Slightly lower octave in the bottom half of tach but then it makes that wonderful rip up to the redline and it's even louder and more outrageous than it was. Windows up in 6th it is no louder than before, even in Race.

Thank you, Greg! What a nice addition to this car!

UPDATE: after driving it some more, I am still in love with the sound and have noticed a side benefit of the install - heel and toeing is much smoother now because the engine seems less fluffy and inconsistent. I also have a K&N filter so maybe it is this combination I am not sure but when I blip the gas on downshifts, the engines revs exactly how I wanted it to. Previously, probably half the time it wouldn't bring the revs up the way it should and felt sort of fluffy.

·
Premium Member
247 Posts
We have not fit one with a Larini muffler in place but the Larini maintains the same oem fitment so there is no reason it wouldnt work together.
We did sell out of these the other day -- expecting more to be finished up next week.
Thanks, will look a little more into this and let you know. Any update on steering wheel?

101 - 120 of 204 Posts