The Lotus Cars Community banner
21 - 40 of 72 Posts

·
Gamera The Atomic Turtle
3,349 Posts
sweet - looks SO much better without the cheap black seal.

·
Registered
1,020 Posts

·
Registered
2005 Lotus Elise
158 Posts
Maybe it's just the pictures, but IMO, the lack of a "gap-filler" between the headlight covers and the body of the car looks terrible. I find it interesting that I am apparently the only person that feels this way...

·
Registered
511 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
Haha, like any mod, it may not be for everyone.

On another note, its been just short of 2 months, a few storms and plenty of washes and its still 100% functional! No issues!

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
Are you using silicone sealant to glue the headlight lens back to the bezel?

·
Registered
1,020 Posts

·
Registered
383 Posts
Nice job! Any idea if this would work on a 2007-2010MY car? My understanding is that the headlamps are sealed starting with 2007, and this is why things like HID kits don't work for these cars.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Why would HID kits not work? I have one installed and they work great and are totally functional. Should have came with the car IMO.

·
Registered
511 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
Where did you order the new covers to replace the sanding of the UV film?
UV Film? Replacement cover? No clue what your talking about mine was bare plastic. Just sanded and polished. Been almost 6 months no issues.

Nice job! Any idea if this would work on a 2007-2010MY car? My understanding is that the headlamps are sealed starting with 2007, and this is why things like HID kits don't work for these cars.
Fairly certain you may be misinformed. All S2's use the same headlights. No change in bulb/install.

·
Registered
383 Posts
I hope I am misinformed, but don't think so. Others have called out that 07-10 headlights are different, just haven't seen the conclusion to what exactly is different. I can say that my 09 has different headlights than yours (there are 2 small round 'marker' lights at the top of the cluster.

·
Back to the Future, again
6,205 Posts
The -09 lights are different than the rest, they are the sealed units with the different angles in there so you don't burn the housings from the refraction like the first gen.

As for UV protectant, just buy some from an auto supply store and spray it on the lenses after you are done refinishing them to give it an UV protection coating.

·
Registered
383 Posts
The -09 lights are different than the rest, they are the sealed units with the different angles in there so you don't burn the housings from the refraction like the first gen.
Thanks. Any idea how to replace the stock 09 bulbs with HIDs?

·
Registered
511 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 ·
Im fairly sure even if the headlights are designed differently, they still use a replaceable bulb setup. HID retrofits are made for everything so It shouldent be an issue.

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
The end result.

My shop did do a bit of work matching the body edge to the headlight rim. But I think it was worth it. Sooo much cleaner.

Thanks for the idea!

:up:

Attachments

·
Registered
511 Posts
Discussion Starter · #39 ·
VERY Clean! I have the same plan when it comes time to cut into the clam! Shave lines, markers, and signals!

21 - 40 of 72 Posts