The Lotus Cars Community banner

41 - 60 of 158 Posts

·
Registered
244 Posts
That sounds like a great idea guys!

Like stated before, do yo think it will interfere much with the Exige S' intercooler. I am thinking about doing this too to my Exige S.

·
Registered
244 Posts
BOB1984 said:
No, people in the UK have removed the exige S top with no problems...
Now I have a 2nd cabrio! :clap:

I see this guy did not do the "soft top" mod. Thanks for posting the picture, the car looks awesome!

·
Registered
27 Posts
Wouldn't recommend removing the hard top on the Exige S as the s/c uses the air intake from the roof. The air scoop on the Exige S is bigger than the normal Exige to accomodate for this (and looks better IMHO).

The air intake on the normal Exige is blocked so is just a cosmetic touch thus removing the hard top won't effect engine performance or efficiency.

·
Registered
3,366 Posts
Actually the scoop isn't any bigger on the Exige S (although it is 'functional' in that it isn't blocked like it is in the N/A Exige) and the remainder of the scoop (what's left over after the hard top is off) will draw in just as much air as when you use the whole scoop (with the hard top on).

While there is a miniscule possibility that removing the hard top will get 'less' air into that little opening, the amount of 'less' is so small that it could only be detected using a very sophisticated instrument of some sort.

In other words; Do this mod and enjoy the ability drive topless and quickly add a top to your Exige even if it is an Exige S.

·
user /tron
880 Posts
to dig up an old thread....
how well did the windows meet up with the softtop? Any leakage when it rains (well...more than usual)? I was under the impression the windows' height is different on the exige vs elise vs elise with hardtop.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter #48
RideMooch said:
to dig up an old thread....
how well did the windows meet up with the softtop? Any leakage when it rains (well...more than usual)? I was under the impression the windows' height is different on the exige vs elise vs elise with hardtop.
the roll up height most certainly is different. the trick is to adjust the window to roll up to meet the "taller" top. then, when you put on the other top, you just dont roll the window up to the mechanical stop-just to the rubber seals. (this, i sadly must still adjust)

·
Registered
1,504 Posts
i did this recently, and had to adjust the window for the different tops. also, what i found is, you will probably never want to drive around w/ the softtop on the exige just for the sole fact that it looks like crap :D

·
Registered
2,969 Posts
I'm going to want to do this to mine as well. Texas weather is great for open top, but things can change quick.

What are part numbers and prices?

I'm guessing you need the 2 plastic ribs, 4 grommets and the soft top.

Do you guys know the price and part numbers so I know what to expect when I go the Lotus dealership?

I saw this on page 1, not sure what its referring to.

inetd said:
The parts included were:
A116B0182F Conv. Bow Plug
B117B0480K Plug Spacer
1 hour labor

Total $118.61

·
Registered
159 Posts
This business of airflow to the scoop is more complex than simple venturi size.

Keep in mind that on a stock roof the scoop at the top of the windshield is (probably, only the windtunnel guys can tell us for sure) in a somewhat smooth high pressure area. At the back of the cokpit position, over an open spot, the flow is likely to be far lower pressure and quite turbulent. Further, the "dead space" is different in the two systems as will therefore be the whole manifold pressure throughout the system.

In short, you have (possibly) profoundly effected the intercooler's cooling. I'd be concerned at the track about this. Perhpas it's no big deal on the street, but I'd be sure to discuss this with Lotus Sport if I wanted to do it on the Cup (and I admit, I would like to do it on my Cup).

·
Registered
1,428 Posts
Does anyone know the total cost of parts?

Lotus of Greenwich charges $1650 for this mod.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Yo

Just done mine on normal Exige.
Didnt have a dremmel so made a series of small holes then punched out bit in middle, smoothed it off with a file.
You do get dust everywhere !
I stuck a yogurt pot behind where I was drilling to catch some debris.

JOhn

·
Registered
943 Posts
Do you have to cut the holes in the windshield frame as well or are they already there?

Matt

·
Registered
4,166 Posts
intofx said:
Do you have to cut the holes in the windshield frame as well or are they already there?

Matt
They're already there.

·
Registered
61 Posts
I know this may seem stupid, but what if you don't put the brackets in, can you still use the top?

And can you order this stuff from any local lotus dealer, what approximately is the cost of the stuff? I've seen 1650 including installation.

·
Registered
4,985 Posts
robl45 said:
I know this may seem stupid, but what if you don't put the brackets in, can you still use the top?
Technically, yes. But it will flap around like a MFer without the stays in their brackets. Like a tent missing a couple of poles.

41 - 60 of 158 Posts