The Lotus Cars Community banner

41 - 60 of 116 Posts

·
Registered
1,976 Posts

·
Registered
260 Posts
Has anyone actually fitted an audi transaxle to an 4 cylinder Esprit?

The old audi 016 (Audi 5000) transaxle is a good and relatively strong transaxle. It has been used behind small block fords quite reliably in GT40 replicas (typically 350-400 hp/tq). I have installed limited slips in these boxes, changed the ratios, added strengthening plates, and various other tips and tricks for added durability, but the basic unmodified 016 is a good strong box for a four cylinder turbo Esprit.

The C35 citroen box in my '88 Esprit is making some noise - sounds like cwp whine. I would be interested in fitting an 016 transaxle instead of rebuilding the C35. Anybody know if an 016 has been fitted before? Have an adapter plate drawing?

Thanks

·
Premium Member
135 Posts

The old audi 016 (Audi 5000) transaxle is a good and relatively strong transaxle. It has been used behind small block fords quite reliably in GT40 replicas (typically 350-400 hp/tq). I have installed limited slips in these boxes, changed the ratios, added strengthening plates, and various other tips and tricks for added durability, but the basic unmodified 016 is a good strong box for a four cylinder turbo Esprit.

The C35 citroen box in my '88 Esprit is making some noise - sounds like cwp whine. I would be interested in fitting an 016 transaxle instead of rebuilding the C35. Anybody know if an 016 has been fitted before? Have an adapter plate drawing?

Thanks

Hi, imho rebuilding the C 35 tranny with cyro treated ring and pinion, plus optional Quaife ATB is more cost effective and way easier than putting in an Audi transaxle.

Combination with cyro cwp and Quaife makes the box pretty strong and lasting.

cheers,

Harry Martens

·
Registered
260 Posts
a few pics of the audi 016 here for ref.

The LSD from a 944 turbo bolts right in, and there are lots of different ratios available for the 016. A quaife lsd is also available for it.

Attachments

·
Registered
260 Posts
Hi, imho rebuilding the C 35 tranny with cyro treated ring and pinion, plus optional Quaife ATB is more cost effective and way easier than putting in an Audi transaxle.

Combination with cyro cwp and Quaife makes the box pretty strong and lasting.

cheers,

Harry Martens
No, it's not more cost effective.

·
Integrator
2,682 Posts
Discussion Starter #50

Thanks
The 01E or 0A3 were mated behind the V8's from the factory. The 01X and 012 were all 4 cylinder gas and diesel and 6 cyl gas only, the 6 cyl diesels got 01E's for the most part.

Perhaps they can answer your questions:

Driveline and Gearboxes, Advanced Automotion

·
Registered
260 Posts
Hi, I don't mean to be curt/short in my answer. Here's some of the data.....

1. 016 transaxle can be had for typically $200-300 bucks from auto parts recyclers.
2. fab work I will do myself, will use a cable operated gear change, these are typcally $200-300 bucks, GT40s folks use lots of these and there's always a few available with the right brackets for an 016.
3. adapter plate - this takes some work, but the 016 side is easily available, just not sure about the Lotus 4cyl side. Also, what's the clutch pack, etc. Some research necessary here.
4. engine mounts, not difficult, adapt the audi mountings.

Additional work I will have to do myself because I have an '88 with the inboard brakes....folks with '89+ cars don't need to mess with that. Wish I had an 89+ car.

Net, it's not a lot of cost if one can do some basic fab work. And, in the end, an 016 with a LSD from a 944 turbo is a very solid transaxle.

Just my $.02. Of course, results may vary......

·
Registered
1,976 Posts
After putting together a cost/feasibility study, IMHO, the UN1-26 with Holloway upgrade gives the best bang/buck ratio (no chassis revisions!).
and that price for total kit being?

Modifications required?

·
Registered
1,976 Posts
just me or looks like concept of one of the Esprits a year or so ago

41 - 60 of 116 Posts