The Lotus Cars Community banner

81 - 100 of 136 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
The 016 is a decent gearbox but it does have several drawbacks. Supply is dwindling, 99.99% of the parts in it are not available anymore and aftermarket support is non existent. 5th gear is not supported and tends to flex under abuse which results in a stripped fifth gear (and since you can't buy a new 5th gear..). It's max torque rating in a racing environment is 350-400 ft/lbs. There have been many examples them stripping third gear and first gear at these power levels.

·
Registered
4,869 Posts

·
Integrator
2,764 Posts
Discussion Starter #83 (Edited)
The 016 is a decent gearbox but it does have several drawbacks. Supply is dwindling, 99.99% of the parts in it are not available anymore and aftermarket support is non existent. 5th gear is not supported and tends to flex under abuse which results in a stripped fifth gear (and since you can't buy a new 5th gear..). It's max torque rating in a racing environment is 350-400 ft/lbs. There have been many examples them stripping third gear and first gear at these power levels.
Scott,

How about Audi 01E tranny?
Is it longer than 016?
Could you provide with a gear ratios available (chart, perhaps)?

·
Registered
465 Posts
Noticed last week our local Esprit friendly independent is in the process of installing the Cayman six speed in a V8. So far he has made up a bell housing conversion plate that is about 1 1/2" thick, presumably to get the output shafts spaced correctly. I believe he has a CNC file for the plate. I think it will use the Porsche clutch. Sorry I don't understand the details too well, but can let you know how it works out. I understand the project is proceeding, but the pace appears a bit leisurely.

Stu

·
Registered
1,976 Posts
Noticed last week our local Esprit friendly independent is in the process of installing the Cayman six speed in a V8. So far he has made up a bell housing conversion plate that is about 1 1/2" thick, presumably to get the output shafts spaced correctly. I believe he has a CNC file for the plate. I think it will use the Porsche clutch. Sorry I don't understand the details too well, but can let you know how it works out. I understand the project is proceeding, but the pace appears a bit leisurely.

Stu
THAT I WANT TO SEE! Hopefully could be modified to use with non V8 cars as well.
Looking on ebay see used for sale from $1500 to $5000

·
Integrator
2,764 Posts
Discussion Starter #90 (Edited)
Stuart,

Any updates on the project?

Porsche 987 987c Cayman S Manual Transmission looks pretty compact to me, but the bell housing is POA.

OAL is 27.5" give or take an 1/8"

Bell housing flange surface to output flange centerline is 6.7"

There is no low hanging differential sump either( flat bottom) so clearance below it is non-issue

Some of the specs for a Cayman S g87.21 from caymanclub.net forum:

1st 3.308
2nd 1.950
3rd 1.407
4th 1.133
5th 0.972
6th 0.822
final 3.875

70 mph w/26" tire gives 2882 rpm in 6th.
158 mph @ 6500 rpm

LSD-s are available for this tranny, too.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Happened to run across this while randomly searching the interweb. Not looking to swap mine at this point but thought someone might find it interesting as I've never seen anything about a Subaru transmission swap.

Design - Factory Five RacingFactory Five Racing
https://www.factoryfive.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/11/STI-Six-Speed-Conversion.pdf

These guys apparently modify Subaru running gear as a replacement for VW rear-engine apps...
Subarugears

I love how the guy from subarugears.com hacks the center differential case apart with an angle grinder.

·
Dreaded Prior Owner
687 Posts
The later Subaru 6 speeds seem to survive behind 400+hp STi motors, but I wonder what life is like with all the torque going through only one diff/ring & pinion set. We'll have to keep our eyes on the 818 crowd as they start to throw the easy power at their new toys. A big plus would be the ready availability of these units, and parts!

This reminds me that I forgot to drop my old WRX short block & transaxle into my Esprit engine bay for a test fit while the 910 was out. CRS:facepalm

·
Dreaded Prior Owner
687 Posts
After measuring my spare Subaru 5-spd, I see the axle to tailpiece dimension is 26"+, which would put the shift linkage exiting about in the middle of my rear valance, and the existing mounts well to the rear of the Lotus chassis loop. Not even close.....:(

·
Integrator
2,764 Posts
Discussion Starter #96
Yes, the 016's are all the same except for ratios. There are certain 016's which have much better ratios than others. The one I have is coded AAZ which is a pretty good ratio set.

Yes, it's a beefy transaxle, particularly with an LSD installed. My 331 SBF has about 400 hp and 400 tq. It should be fine so long as there's no drop clutch burn out starts.

Yes, selector shaft is on the left. I have a shifter mechanism from a GT40 replica which uses cable shift so I'll have to run cables to the left of the 016. Shouldn't be too tough.

I'll be using 930 porsche CVs and modified axles - should be plenty tough enough. The 930 CV's have a good range of useable motion.

I'll keep things posted here as the project moves forward
??? Any updates on your project???

·
Onlooker
200 Posts
Hey I been looking. I might have an audi 5 speed box sorry not the six back home I pulled out of a fwd for my old a6. The thing is pretty darn short. Ill see if its still at the shop. If its there Ill have the guy measure it as well as get rid of my old rover block sitting under his bearing press.
I really was hoping to see more info on the quaife as I was thinking about that route. Im already tired of the cables not
performing like a solid ink set. I keep missing first gear. A shift gate would solve all of my isseues but I hate the fact that I have a super car with a 5 speed and a b rated set of materials. If it blows Ill let you guys know what I can make fit as I cant afford to have the esprit down for long.
Ill call my buddy tonight on what box it is and the lenght. you can pick em up for like 500$

Any takers on either make me an offer. low is fine.

81 - 100 of 136 Posts