The Lotus Cars Community banner

101 - 120 of 136 Posts

·
Registered
260 Posts
Only question here is how much are you willing to spend???

1. Audi - tends to be the least expensive. Sub $5K for a workable 6 speed 01e, for example. Good for up to 450hp/tq with reasonable treatment. Scott at Advanced Automotion can pull this together for you. Advanced Automotion

2. Porsche - more expensive. Sub $8K-10K for a workable 930 box. Good for a chunk more hp/tp than the "breathed on" 01e (perhaps 500-550).

3. Others - quite expensive. ZF seems to be the most commonly available with good parts supply and some repair/support. Most of these options are in the $10K-20K+ range.

It's easy to talk a big game about how this or that transaxle can easily handle big HP....right up until you have to write a $15K check for one.

Who here has paid $15K+ for a transaxle?

·
Registered
41 Posts
The 2 workable solutions for someone to actually offer a kit for Esprits to replace a UN1, rather then each person having to custom fabricate a solution each time are:
Option 1 the cheap, plentiful and robust enough for this application is the Audi FWD 6 speed boxes.

Option 2 is making the Boxter gearbox work in here. Way cheaper then the vintage Porsche options previously used. Plentiful enough and already designed to be mid engined transaxle. Can handle the power, upgrades available, lots of clutches etc...

Whoever offers the first bolt on kit for either of these options would result in a bunch of orders at first and then a continuous stream of ongoing ones as the years went on.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Only question here is how much are you willing to spend???

1. Audi - tends to be the least expensive. Sub $5K for a workable 6 speed 01e, for example. Good for up to 450hp/tq with reasonable treatment. Scott at Advanced Automotion can pull this together for you. Advanced Automotion

2. Porsche - more expensive. Sub $8K-10K for a workable 930 box. Good for a chunk more hp/tp than the "breathed on" 01e (perhaps 500-550).

3. Others - quite expensive. ZF seems to be the most commonly available with good parts supply and some repair/support. Most of these options are in the $10K-20K+ range.

It's easy to talk a big game about how this or that transaxle can easily handle big HP....right up until you have to write a $15K check for one.

Who here has paid $15K+ for a transaxle?[/QUOTE---------------------------
I know this isn't the right place to put this, but I couldn't find how to post a new question. I have a Vixen RV that uses a Renault UN-1 Transaxle, having a 4.11 final drive. Mine blew up and I cannot find another one. Is there another transaxle I can use in my Vixen? It must be rear engine/pusher configuration, not mid-engine. My new "built" BMW engine stripped out the ring and pinion and blew 5th gear right out the back case. Any help would be highly appreciated. [email protected]

·
Integrator
2,764 Posts
Discussion Starter #104
The 2 workable solutions for someone to actually offer a kit for Esprits to replace a UN1, rather then each person having to custom fabricate a solution each time are:
Option 1 the cheap, plentiful and robust enough for this application is the Audi FWD 6 speed boxes.

Option 2 is making the Boxter gearbox work in here. Way cheaper then the vintage Porsche options previously used. Plentiful enough and already designed to be mid engined transaxle. Can handle the power, upgrades available, lots of clutches etc...

Whoever offers the first bolt on kit for either of these options would result in a bunch of orders at first and then a continuous stream of ongoing ones as the years went on.
How about 2005 Porsche 911 Carrera 3.6 RWD 997 Manual 6 Speed Transmission G97.01 ?
Anyone?

·
Integrator
2,764 Posts
Discussion Starter #105 (Edited)
Possibility: Porsche G50/52 ?

Food for thought only:

How to shorten G50 tranny, details:
Converting long G50 into short g50 - Pelican Parts Forums
http://slc-wiki.squarespace.com/porscheg50
'
The G50/52 gear box from the later 964 could take 360HP and I can imagine some tuner taking it to 400HP. Each new version of the G50 was improved on from the 1987 which in 88 got a new fork etc.
many of them are being put into midengine kits cars like the FF GTM Mulsanne or the Ultima. For midengine, the gearbox needs to be inverted to run the other way around. It requires moving the drain and vent to the opposite side of the gearbox. Also, if the gearbox has a pump and internal oiling it also requires moving the pickup of the pump to the opposite side as well.

The other modification is a hefty billet side cover, which even on the turbo and other 9" ring gear boxes is nice to have.

Spec for G50/52
964 (965) Turbo 1991-94

5-speed fully-synchronized transaxle

Manufactured by Getrag

Plate-type limited-slip differential available

Rod shift

Single-plate clutch

Gear ratios:

1st gear: 3.154

2nd gear: 1.789

3rd gear: 1.269

4th gear: 0.967

5th gear: 0.756

Ring and pinion: 3.44, 9" ring gear

·
Registered
636 Posts
The problem with the air cooled transmissions I think is that they are very expensive and getting more rare. I think you can buy a boxster trans for $1500? A rebuild able G50 is probably north of $7K - rebuilt over $10K?

·
Registered
636 Posts
Check this out. Its pretty long but I wonder. I never looked at a picture of one carefully.

I think the companies that work on these can do almost anything with them to them - tons of options.

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/autocrossing-and-roadracing-classifieds/4284907-tr6060-c6-z06-diff-track-package.html

This example is an expensive track version but I think run of the mill units are cheap.

hmmmm I would think that if this was an option the kit car crowd would use them. Maybe they are just too long?

·
Integrator
2,764 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Getrag 7 speed DCT

Saw this article about the Getrag 7 speed DCT used in Ford GT, AMG GT, Ferrari 458...

https://www.roadandtrack.com/car-culture/a24794214/ford-gt-gearbox-sharing/

It’s an electronically controlled DCT, but I could imagine a piggyback controller being programmed to provide the control signals to make it work. I suppose the different shift modes would be programmable as well, with the transmission merely obeying slip and launch characteristics.

Wet clutches are inside so it might only require an adapter to the input shaft, or how about even leaving a manual clutch to serve as a release if the transmission locks in event of an on-track crash or engine failure.

It seems that manual transmissions are getting rarer by the hour so this might be something viable that can handle higher torque and power levels.

Here’s an eBay auction for a used AMG GT 7 speed DCT transmission, that’s not a bad price: https://www.ebay.com/p/16025322280?iid=333181914152&chn=ps&norover=1&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-117182-37290-0&mkcid=2&itemid=333181914152&targetid=596466045308&device=t&mktype=pla&googleloc=9031158&poi=&campaignid=6470719151&mkgroupid=77538520277&rlsatarget=pla-596466045308&abcId=1140476&merchantid=110555109&gclid=Cj0KCQjwoebsBRCHARIsAC3JP0ISZoyN1NSDsVPZpiLxqAZMuwfuXWuYBDl_iVw-2g_Yog8ff-fjy7IaAqnpEALw_wcB

Off topic: What are the scripts used to insert an image and to shorten a long URL?

·
Registered
561 Posts
C8' 8 speed,dual clutch tranny looks very compact. Definitely, it has a great potential.
Very nice, but it is "all electronics" and our ECU won't cut it.:scratchhead:

Among the many ways the new 2020 Corvette breaks with Corvette tradition is that it's the first generation of America's sports car not to offer a manual transmission.
Seems too long from the output centerline to the tail to fit in an Esprit without compromising the rear bumper. You would certainly have to relocate the muffler. The bell housing and input shaft would have to be pretty long too.

·
Registered
22 Posts
C8' 8 speed,dual clutch tranny looks very compact. Definitely, it has a great potential.
Very nice, but it is "all electronics" and our ECU won't cut it.:scratchhead:

Among the many ways the new 2020 Corvette breaks with Corvette tradition is that it's the first generation of America's sports car not to offer a manual transmission.

More info/discussion: https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c3-tech-performance/2967777-dual-clutch-7-speed-2.html
Found this on http://gmauthority.com/blog/2019/10/gm-developed-the-2020-corvette-using-porsche-pdk-transmission/

Built by third-party supplier Tremec and internally named the TR-9080, the 2020 Corvette’s eight-speed dual-clutch transmission provides immediate shifts and high levels of engagement, with the paddles wired directly to the gearbox sans a computer butting in to have the final say. According to Tremec, the tranny is able to shift cogs in less than 100 milliseconds without interrupting torque. It can also handle engine speeds of up to 7,500 rpm and a torque peak of 590 pound-feet—as least for now.

Could the aftermarket be not far behind?

·
Registered
636 Posts
What about Porsche 944 Turbo? or even non Turbo built/modified? Lots of them out there

I have never heard of this transmission being used in kit cars etc. so there must be an issue? looks like it could work from the picture? Maybe its a linkage thing.
1581860567892.png

·
Registered
949 Posts
The 944 transaxle is an Audi box (016 with different gears/final drive?) and is used is all sorts of kit cars. I think the O1E variant is the strongest of the bunch.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I have successfully mated a Porsche Boxter 6 speed with my 2002 Esprit. It's ~20kg heavier than the Renault setup, but it will handle over 500hp easily. This is a no-cut, no modify solution. If you choose, you can put the Renault back in without any trouble. I'll be producing kits this summer after the next few months of testing. I'll advertise on this site once it's ready to go. :cool:

101 - 120 of 136 Posts